Natural persons located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) should review our General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) Privacy Notice.
1. What information may be collected?
During your use of a Service (whether as a registered or unregistered user), you may provide us with personal information, such as your name, e-mail address, phone number, city and state, information provided in emails to us, or other information that could be used to identify you as an individual or allow someone to contact you, as well as any information that relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to you (collectively, “Personal Information”). Personal Information can be collected directly from you or indirectly as described below.
When using our Services from a mobile device (a “Mobile Service”), you may share the geographic location of your device with us if you have consented to location services generally through your device’s settings or accepted our request for geolocation access. Your device location may be transmitted to us whenever a Mobile Service is running (even if you are not actively using the Mobile Service or it is running in the background on your device). Your device may continue to transmit its location to us until you change your device settings.
If you set your device not to transmit location information to us, certain features of our Services may not be available or their functions may be limited. For example, you will have to manually enter a location when conducting a search. Service Usage Information
2. How is your information used?
We or our service providers may use the information we collect from or about you to perform the following functions:
- administer our Services and your account with us;
- enable you to use our Services and their features;
- customize our Services to your interests and history with us;
- localize the content and articles that are displayed to you based on your geographical location;
- conduct market research;
- improve or develop new features and offerings in our Services;
- tailor ads displayed to you in our Services and elsewhere;
- send you marketing and other communications, including information about products, services, or events that we think might be of interest to you;
- assess your level of interest in and use of our Services, e-mails, and other messaging campaigns, both on an individual basis and in aggregate;
- generate analytics reports on the usage of our Services; and
- respond to your requests, questions, and concerns protecting our rights and property.
We may also use Personal Information to meet our internal and external audit requirements and for information security purposes. Where permissible under applicable law, your Personal Information may be used for other purposes, which will be disclosed to you at the time when your information is collected. There may be instances, however, when we will use your Personal Information for purposes that were not disclosed at the time of the data collection; for example, when doing so is necessary to comply with a legal obligation or requirement. We may use Personal Information to (a) respond to requests from courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies, and other public and government authorities, which may include such authorities outside your country of residence; (b) enforce our terms and conditions; and (c) protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, or those of other persons.
3. How do we share the information we collect?
We may share your information:
- with our lawyers, auditors, and other professional advisors, third party advertising companies (including exchanges and brokers) and third party providers of services such as cloud storage, customer relationship management systems, travel and expense management, analytics databases, who need your information to provide services to us (or on our behalf);
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or property, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government agency, law enforcement, judicial or public authority, or other legal request, or to comply with the law;
- in connection with a proposed corporate change or dissolution, including for example a merger, acquisition, reorganization, consolidation, bankruptcy, liquidation, sale of assets or wind down of business.
- with our third-party promotional and marketing partners, including, without limitation, businesses participating in our various programs.
- with our parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, joint ventures, or other companies under common control in order to support marketing, sale and delivery of any service.
We may analyze your information in aggregate form to operate maintain, manage, and improve the Services. We may share non-personally identifiable information about usage of the Services (including aggregate data) with other third parties, including our affiliates, agents, and business partners, for their own use, in a de-identified form.
In addition, what you voluntarily post to public areas of our Service may be available to other Service users.
4. How do we secure your Personal Information?
We use reasonable technical, administrative and physical security measures to protect Personal Information collected via our Services. We cannot guarantee that any information, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our systems or otherwise in our care, will be absolutely safe from unauthorized access or use (e.g., by hackers). You use the Services, and send us information, at your own risk.
If you correspond with us by e-mail, text message, or using a “Contact us” feature on our Service, a third party could intercept the information you send in transit, and you should therefore take special care in deciding what information you send. We have no liability relating to disclosure of your information due to errors, omissions or unauthorized acts or failures to act by third parties during or after transmission.
If you create an account on our Services, you are responsible for maintaining the strict confidentiality of your account password, and you shall be responsible for any activity, including disclosure of your Personal Information, that occurs using your account credentials, whether or not you authorized such activity. Please notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security.
5. Cookies and other tracking technologies
We, and/or our service providers or partners on our behalf, may use tracking technologies, which may run on your device when you use the Services. The circumstances in which we may deploy tracking technologies include:
- HTML5 may be used to store information on your computer or device about your Service usage activities. This information can be retrieved by us to determine how our Services are being used by our visitors, how our Services may be improved, and to customize our Services for our users.
These tracking technologies may be deployed by us and/or our service providers or partners on our behalf (for more information on our Third Party Analytics Providers and Third Party Ad Servers and Networks, see below). These technologies enable us to assign a unique number to your computer or device, and relate information about your use of the Services to other information about you, including your Personal Information. These technologies also enable us to recognize you when you access our Services using different web browsers or devices.
You can manage website cookies in your browser settings. If you choose to change your settings, you may find that certain functions and features will not work as intended on the Services. All browser settings are slightly different, so to manage cookies, you should refer to the relevant settings within your browser. If you would like to obtain more detailed information about types of cookies, how they are used, and how you can manage your cookie preferences you may want to visit: www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org. Please click below for detailed information on how to disable and delete cookies in some commonly used browsers:
- Mozilla Firefox®: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- Google Chrome™: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=en
- Safari®: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21411?viewlocale=enUS&locale=enUS
6. Links and connections to Third Party Services
We may also include tools in our Services that allow you to share or publicly post content from our Services to your profile on a third party social network. You may choose to share information about your activities on the Service with such third party platforms and its users, including publishing your information about what content you may have viewed on our Services. If you visit a Service while logged into certain social media platforms, the social media platform may be able to identify your browser and associate the technical information provided by your web browser with other information that they have already collected about you, which may result in their ability to identify you. In addition, when you choose to share information about your activities on the Service with certain social media platforms, AP may send technical information about you to that platform as well as information about what content you are viewing.
Third-Party Websites and Content
Third-Party Analytics Providers
Third-Party Ad Servers and Networks
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our Services.
For Connatix’s, please visit: https://www.connatix.com/privacy-policy
For AppNexus, please visit: www.appnexus.com
For Taboola, please visit: https://help.taboola.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004904154-Taboola-s-Trust-Center
For Krux Digital, please visit: https://www.salesforce.com/products/marketing-cloud/sfmc/audience-studio-consumer-choice/
For Nativo, please visit: https://www.nativo.com/about/adchoices
For Google Publisher Tags, please visit: https://support.google.com/admanager/answer/7678538?hl=en
For Verve, please visit: https://verve.com/privacy-policy/
For Nativo, please visit: https://www.nativo.com/interest-based-ads
In some instances we collect data and work with 3rd parties to show you personalized ads of behalf of our advertisers. We only use or share this information in a manner that does not reveal your identity. Liveramp is one of these advertisers. To opt-out please visit Liveramp at: https://optout.liveramp.com/opt_out
Note that if you opt-out of any third party data collection described in this section we may still suggest offerings (including content sponsored by third-parties) to you on our Service based on your history or your account preferences.
7. Do Not Track Disclosures
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” (“DNT”) signals to mobile applications with which the user communicates. We currently do not change our tracking practices (which are explained in more detail under “Service Usage Information” above) in response to DNT settings in your web browser.
8. Opt Out of E-mail Marketing
You can opt out of our promotional e-mails by clicking the opt-out/unsubscribe link within the e-mail you receive. Please understand that it may take us a few days to process any opt out request and that even if you opt out of receiving promotional correspondence from us, we may still contact you in connection with your relationship, activities, transactions, and communications with us.
10. California Privacy Rights
Pursuant to Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, residents of California have the right to obtain certain information about the types of personal information that companies with whom they have an established business relationship (and that are not otherwise exempt) have shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year, including the names and addresses of those third parties, and examples of the types of services or products marketed by those third parties. If you wish to submit a request pursuant to Section 1798.83, please contact AP via email at [email protected]
11. Nevada Privacy Rights
If you are a resident of Nevada, you have the right to opt-out of the sale of certain personal information to third parties who intend to license or sell that personal information. You can exercise this right by contacting us at [email protected] with the subject line “Nevada Do Not Sell Request” and providing us with your name and the email address associated with your account. Please note that we do not currently sell your personal information as sales are defined in Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 603A.
13. Children’s privacy
14. Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments regarding our privacy practices, you may contact us at:
The Associated Press 200 Liberty Street New York, NY 10281 +1 212.621.1500
The Associated Press Television News Limited The Interchange, Oval Road, Camden Lock London, NW1 7DZ (44-20) 7482-7400
We hope that can resolve any query or concern you may raise about our use of your information. Effective Date: June 22, 2020